Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Duff Family

Another plea from Australia, this time from Ros:

As with so many others I am delving into my past and have discovered that my mother’s paternal line stems from Alexander Duff snr from Glemsford.
He had a son Alexander who married a Caroline Deacon.
At that time he was part of his father’s Silk Manufacturing business but their relationship seems to have failed after Caroline’s death.
He remarried shortly after and Alexander snr. seems to have changed the business name from “Duff and Son” to Duff and Peacock”.
 I have managed to find a lot of documented information on the son and his children, Alex jnr died in Queensland after emigrating with his daughter Emma and her husband and kids.
This was after what appears to be a history of bankruptcy and petty theft charges with his second wife.
As I said his father appears to have cut him off.
I have also managed to find a lot on the business side of Alexander snr’s life but nothing on his wife, Easther Busby except marriage entries and the baptism entry for their son.
I found Alexander snr with Andrew Peacock in the Spital Square house owned by Duff in 1841 which gave me a rough date of birth and the Foxearth site gave me his death.
I don’t know if they had more than the one child or their parents names and places of birth.
I suppose what I am really hoping is that someone there knows something. I have noticed that you DO get postings from a Jill Duff and I guess I am clutching at any straws that come my way.
Also if anyone would like anything from me I am more than willing to share.

Any contacts via me as usual.
SC


Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mr Clarke, this is nothing to do with the Duff family. I would just like to know how to get in touch with a person I noticed on I think was your blog page, a lady by the name of Amy Lavoie .It would seem we have a lot of names in common. If possible would you please make contact for me.Thank you.
My email is. ridgewayone@yahoo.co.uk
My name is Ron Kinerman.

5:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home