Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Glemsford and Lancaster

I'm in the process of researching further the unexpected link between Glemsford and the matmaking industry of Lancaster.

This first came to light with the work we did about the Brown family, but it has recently become apparent that the presence of Glemsford-born people in Lancaster lasted longer, and was more widespread, than I suspected.

If anyone has any prior knowledge or suspicions about this link, I'd love to know about your ideas.

Contact me in the usual way.

SC

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous don munro said...

My maternal grandmother who died in Lancaster in 1929 was born in Glemsford in 1864.Her maiden name was Jane Garwood.I have traced at least 5 previous generations who were all born and died in Glemsford.Their surnames were mostly Strutt and Golding.

7:55 pm  
Blogger Steve Clarke said...

Thanks Don: that's brilliant.
You've nudged me to get back to my researches, which rather got sidelined by other issues!
By the way, if you've got other information and feel like contacting me by email - feel free - admin@glemsford.org.uk

8:37 pm  
Anonymous margaret copsey said...

Hi Steve, My husbands' family originate from Glemsford. His gt.gt. Grandparents, moved to the Lancaster district for the carpet and lino industry there. They were George Copsey b. 1848, his wife was Hannah Thompson b. 1849, they died in 1906. They had many children, some being born in Glemsford, one of which was Ernest Charles, who was his gt. grandfather.I would be interested in any info. you could let me have on the Copseys, if that is possible Margaret.

7:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family also migrated from Glemsford to Skerton, Lancaster. My gt grandmother Ada was born in risbridge however the family is lised in Skerton in the 1881 census. My gt gt grandfather, who was born in glemsford is listed in the 1881 census as a mat maker. His name was Alfred Debenham and his wife was Emma (nee Lewis) Regards, Linda

11:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home