Monday, May 17, 2010

Smith Family

Jim Oliver has approached me with this plea for help. As someone who also has "Smith" in my family tree, I can sympathise with the size of his task.
If anyone can help Jim, contact me in the usual way (by email) and I'll put you in touch with Jim.

SC

I just came across your interesting site on Glemsford and would like to request any help that might be available to my family research.

My g-g-g grandfather Benjamin Smith, was born in Glemsford about 1783 and died between 1871-81. He married Elizabeth Wakeling (Playle) in 1819 in Stanstead. I believe they only had three children...Isabella, Elizabeth, and Alfred Henry.
It appears that both had previous marriages, so it's possible Benjamin had other children. I have a possible father, John Smith born in Glemsford about 1755.

The census for 1841-51-61 show them living in Great Yeldham.
I'm descended from Alfred, born at Stanstead in 1826, and Eliza Bigg through their son Edwin, born 1858. Edwin emigrated to Canada in 1883.
Alfred and Eliza's other children were Anna, Alfred, Oliver, and William. His wife Eliza was also born in Glemsford in 1824, daughter of Charles Bigg and Elizabeth.
Charles is probably the individual mentioned in your March post about the Jabez Copsey fire.

I'm searching for information on Benjamin's ancestors and would welcome contact from others researching the Smith and Bigg families.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

This marriage appears on Boyds marriage index.

Edw. Plaile
Elz Wakeling
1808
Stanstead

and the following burial is on the National Burial Index

Edward Playle
6th June, 1817
aged 41yrs
Stanstead

1:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Sue...

Jim

6:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home