Friday, October 24, 2008

Ost/Orst/Aust

Noel Shaw has contacted me with this query about his family:

I'm up in Yorkshire and my 2 x Grandfather on my mother's side was Mark Hirst (b. 1833).

His name was corrupted upon arrival up here from your varied versions of Ost/Orst/Aust/etc., which caused problems trying to track any more relations down.

Glemsford, Somerton and Brockley appear to feature in their roots.

Presently I'm now stuck on his father Jeremiah Orst (b.1785, d.1848), who I believe first married Mahala Seeley, who died in 1824 with all her children, and then married Ann Seeley, also widowed, nee Malt, who also had Samuel (b. 1787).

There would appear to be several possibilities as to Jeremiah's parents and I'd appreciate a definitive answer, if anyone can help, please contact me direct.

The LDS site has only confused me even more!

Jeremiah's family seem to have been in Somerton, certainly in 1841 and 1851. If anyone can help Noel, please let me know, via the usual routes.

Steve Clarke

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would this be an account of Jeremiahs death.

Ipswich Journal = Sept. 23rd, 1848.

INQUISITIONS = Before Harry Wayman, Gent, Coroner for the Liberty and Borough of Bury St. Edmunds.

15th inst. Church Farm Somerton, on the body of a poor man, named Jeremiah Aust, aged about 63yrs.who was killed the day before, on Mr. Henry Kings farm, by falling from a wagon, partly filled with beans. This is the first inquest that has taken place in that village since 1822 and all the jury who then served (except two who were sworn on the present occasion) together with the then coroner and summoning constable are dead.

3:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home