Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Brown and Savage Families

I have said many times how much interest and satisfaction I get from people being able to use these pages to help with their own interests.

A couple of years ago now, three of us put in a lot of very enjoyable work researching the link between the Savages of Cavendish (and their hotel "empire") and the Brown family of Glemsford, particularly Araminta, Martha, Gershom and Alva. That material starts (and becomes quite complex) here:
http://www.glemsford.org.uk/05brown.html

I was delighted therefore to receive this email from Debbie Watts in Bedfordshire:

I have recently started reseach on my family tree and discovered many from my mother's side came from the Cavendish/Glemsford area. So looking on the internet I discovered your website and noticed the section on the Browns and the Savages, in this article many of my ancestors were being mentioned and information I had found was being confirmed and elaborated.

This was an exciting find. My G-G-grandmother was the Mrs Elsey that is mentioned in the will of George Savage, George Savage was her next elder brother.

Mrs Elsey, Mary Ann Savage, had 7 children. Amelia and Beatrice (twins, B died at birth), Ernest, Sidney (my g-grandfather), George, Ida and Alexander that I have been able to trace.

Sidney and Ernest went into the Hotel business too and in the 1901 census they are listed as running a coffee house in Waterloo Rd. This was where my grandmother was born.

My grandmother in turn went on to work in the Hotel trade at the Savoy in London. Here she met my grandfather, Louis Saulnier, who was head chef at Frascatis Hotel, he wrote the book "Le Repertoire de la Cuisine" famed as the chef's bible.

... A big thankyou to the person/people who put in the hard work researching the Savages, it has certainly helped me to dot i's and cross t's!

Thanks, Debbie.

Debbie would be happy to hear from anyone with similar family research interests. As always, you can contact her by leaving a comment here, or by emailing me direct. I will pass on any contacts.

Steve Clarke

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger garye said...

Hallo - I would very much wish to contact Debbie Watts. Mary Ann Elsey, married to Henry Elsey is my GGGrandmother/Father too. Their son George Elsey is our next in line. Railway workers as caterers our side also became public house owners in the Manchester area. I have traced our lines back to 1761 but have come to a halt.
hope for contact.
Gary

10:41 am  
Blogger Steve Elsey said...

I have just hit upon the excellent research into the Savage family of Cavendish and George Savage's remarkable story. Subsequently I came across this email fromn Debbie Watts and it would appear that we are from the same line - ie George Savage's sister Mrs Elsey - and I believe that her grandmother was my aunt Grace.
Would it be possible to pass my email address on to her so that we can share information. (steveelsey53@btinternet.com)
Many Thanks - Steve Elsey

6:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home