Monday, February 18, 2008

Biggs and Tweed families

For the last year I have been researching part-time the Big/ Bigg/Biggs/Bygges families from around Glemsford, Stanstead, BSE, Lavenham, Preston, Nayland amongst a few Villages.

I already had about 800 Descendents from my Bigg =Tweed Tree, then I found about 900 on Ray Long's Cosford Database.

I have collated the IGI entries, Ancestry's Parish and Probate Records, Boyds Marriage Indexes and the NBI. I have also trawled the web for info and contacted just about every Bigg researcher on Genes Reunited and Rootsweb World Connect Project.

Lots of people have added to the info I have and I have been able to add more from the Censuses and able to make quite a few new links.


However there are still lots of loose ends.

So if anyone has any Bigg connections I would be happy to hear from them

I also wish to ask if you know of any way of finding out a persons 'Trade' before 1800. I have a Samuel Bigg Born Abt 1761 Stanstead and two of his sons, Ambrose and William Bigg(s) were ' Cutlers' and it would be nice to find that this was the trade of the father.

- Clif ( London )


(Contact Clif in the usual way via me, or add a comment here.)
SC

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Steve,
I think I have just made a link with the Bigg family of Glemsford. My Gt Grandfather was George Sparrow Field, who was born in Great Baddow, Essex in 1838. His mother was Elizabeth Bigg, who was also born in Gt Baddow in 1807, but I did not have any leads taking her line back.

However I have now found ref to a farmer, Sparrow Bigg 1787-1870 from Glemsford who I reckon is likely to have been her father given the passing on of the name. Whilst I can see him in the 1861 census I cannot see him prior to that although various notes imply he was a farmer in Milden in 1841 and had remarried - and no longer in Essex.Do you know anyone who mighht have any info that might help here? I have my info on a Public Tree on Ancestry.com, cheers, Jon.

9:39 am  
Anonymous Alan Missen said...

Hi

I am a decendant of Thomas Missen, who married a Mary Bigg in 1778 in Wickhambrook. Mary died in 1831.

Thomas had a grandson, Bateman Thomas Missen, named I believe after Bateman Bigg.

However, I cannot establish a clear connection between Mary Bigg and Bateman Big.

Can anyone help?

Alan Missen
awmissen@xtra.co.nz

6:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home