Monday, October 22, 2007

Argents of Glemsford

I've received this request from Nicole, about the Argent family. I've already explained about the old newsagent's shop (!), but if anyone else can offer anything, let me know and, as always, I will pass it on.

SC

I have been reading your pages with much interest and wonder if you or anyone else reading your site has any information for us.

My uncle, Roy Argent, and my Dad, Frederick Argent, have been tracing our ARGENT family history. They have traced it back to a Mr William Argent (born c. 1796) who is listed as resident in Glemsford in the 1841 census.

My understanding is that there are still Argents resident in Glemsford now and I wonder whether our ancestor is related to any of them (and therefore very distantly us) or if he has cropped up in any of their (or anyone else's) research?

The listing for Argents in Glemsford in the census is as follows:

William Argent (Father) born c. 1796
Sophia Argent (Daughter/d-in-law?) born c. 1821
William Argent (Son?) born c. 1826
Fredrick Argent (Son?) born c. 1827
Anne Argent (Daughter/d-in-law?) born c. 1829
Charles Argent (Son?) born c. 1832

Our investigations continue into finding William's Father and into whether the Argents listed with him are children/in-laws/relatives.


We would be grateful to hear of any information regarding William and his family, any ancestral connections that can be made or of any stories regarding Argents and their lives in Glemsford.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Nicole

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the Suffolk Marriage Index

William ARGANT
Susan SEELY

2nd August, 1821 - Glemsford

6:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I have just discovered your very interesting site.
I am researching our family tree and find that my husbands maternal grandfather was born in Glemsford -Walter Argent 1883 - Father James Argent 1847 - 11 Children, Sarah, Althea, Laura, Emma, Elizabeth, Kate, John, Mary, Willie, Nellie and Walter. They moved to live in Keighley, West Yorkshire.
Is there anyone who can give me more information about Ray's family. He knows very little about his family history.
Looking forward to hearing if anyone can help me put some "flesh on the bones" of my knowledge.
Thanks Barbara Barrett.

7:58 pm  
Blogger Steve Clarke said...

Since Barabara posted her comment, I have done some work on the Glemsford-Keighley Connection and published it as a new item.

4:14 pm  
Anonymous Rebekah Blackwolf-Mitchell said...

Would you know of any Argents in haverhill whom married Borehams? I am searching as an ancestor from Australia.

6:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home