Sunday, June 17, 2007

Glemsford and Fingringhoe: a matter of movement

The more I investigate these matters, the more fascinating it becomes: just how mobile were populations in the years before railways, "proper" roads and so on?

A traditional view has always been - supported by research into the operation of the pre-1834 Poor Law, for instance - that people were supposed to live their lives in the place where they were born, unless there were some major upheaval, like the Great Plague, Enclosure or Emigration.

I suspect, however, that people moved around far more than has previously seemed likely.

I pose the question here because Peter Watkins has sent in this enquiry:

A swathe of my ancestors come from villages near Colchester - Fingringhoe, E Donyland, and so on. At least two of those ancestors - seemingly independently - migrated there from Glemsford around 1760-1780. And blow me, if I just haven't found the good possibility of a third ancestor making the same move, again around 1760.

Does anyone in your society know of any link, of any kind, between the two areas?

Many thanks.

As always, if anyone has any ideas to contribute, please feel free to do so, via email or using the comment facility.

SC

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out this page about early nineteenth century apprentices in Glemsford.


http://www.glemsford.org.uk/05lhsnews.html

9:58 pm  
Blogger Steve Clarke said...

That'll teach me to check my own site, won't it? -but it was a while ago!
Thanks anon., whosoever you may be!

SC

10:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never mind Steve it happens to us all. I only remember it as there are some of my rellies on there.

9:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glemsford and Fingringhoe: a matter of movement

I will hapily publish my email address

gemat@83bramcote.freeserve.co

and would love to hear from anyone who can substantiate connections between East Donyland Fingringhoe and Glemsford.

I have quite a bit to add to this as I certainly know of two WORDLEY(WADLEY) brothers (William and Isaac)who became ouystermen at East Donlyland William was my gt,gt,gt grandfather.

I suspect there were other families, thus hinting that the brothers came to do their apprenticeship because they were introduced by family probably (almost certainly)with Glemsford connections

I have also discovered that these families also had connections with another maritime village Bursledon on the Hamble River.

Please do contact me. I'd love to hear from anyone who could help

Graham

5:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A further comment regarding Glemsford and Fingringhoe: a matter of movement.

Apart from my WORDLEY ( WADLEY )family who came from Glemsford and moved to East Donyland in the early 19th century I am interested in a name I have seen mentioned in recent Glemsford FH pages and thats CRANFIELD.

Does anyone know of a CRANFIELD East Donyland/ Fingringhoe connection?

There are WORDLEY and CRANFIELD in Wivenhoe, EDL and Fingringhoe to this day

And I guess I may have a sneeking suspicion who you are Sue!!!

Graham
gemat@83bramcote.freeserve.co.uk

6:16 pm  
Blogger Steve Clarke said...

Graham's email address (under the second anonymous heading) should read:

gemat@83bramcote.freeserve.co.uk

(I don't believe that this is the only way that I, the illustrious webmaster, may edit a comment, but there you go.)

Ho hum, as they say.

6:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home