Friday, January 26, 2007

Smart and Slater

A correspondent has contacted me:

Could you or anyone in Glemsford help?

I am trying to find the date and place of birth of William Smart.

He married Florence Slater (born 1889 Glemsford) .

They had two children Cambrai William George ( 1917) and Leslie Cecil .

I have traced the Slaters back to 1700 but need to trace the Smart family.

The Record Office at Bury has no marriage certificate and I can find no birth records for the two boys.

Florence had a sister Ivy who lived on the corner nearly opposite a pub which is no longer there. I believe the house is now called Spindlebrook.

I spent many happy weekends there in the 50's and 60's.

Ivy was married to Ernie and both died in the 80's.

My uncle George as he was known (Cambrai) died in 1982 and his brother Leslie is still alive.

Can anyone help?

I've had a quick rummage through the materials that are available to me and have not emerged with anything yet so:
if anyone can help, please add a comment here, or email me and I will forward it to the researcher.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marriage.

George SMART
Florence SLATER

1915
Dec. qtr.
Pancras
Volume 1b
Page 314

1:56 pm  
Blogger Steve Clarke said...

Thanks, anon.

Why so shy?

2:12 pm  
Blogger kevin said...

Hi,
Would the correspondent who says he has history of the Slater family dating back to 1700 please let me know if Hannah Slater features, and if so, who her ancestors were. She was born in Glemsford either 1779 or 1781. Many thanks, Kevin Lee

1:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Keith Slater and all those mentioned are connected to myself. Ivy Wells (nee Slater) was my great aunt and lived at Churchgate. The branch of the family you are unable to trace went to Lower Edmunton, North London so you might like to do some research there.

Keith Slater, Great Cornard, Suffolk
KingBead@aol.com

8:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home