Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Goody Family

Arthur Rees has contacted me with this query:

I wonder if someone can be of assistance to me. I am researching my wife's Family History, with a maiden name of Platt.

Her Great,Great, Grandfather was George Platt. In 1843 he married Alithea Goody (also variously known as Martha, Alethea and Alicia Goody), in St Leonards, Shoreditch, London.

I am trying to find more details of her. According to the census of 1841 onwards, it lists her birth place as Long Melford, but there are no records of her there. On the site of the Latter Day Saints, it tells me that she was born on 4th October 1821 in Glemsford, and was Christened there on the 6th October 1821. It lists her fathers name as Joseph Goody, who was born about 1791, and her mothers name is given as Mary Ann, who was born in1795.

At the time of her marriage in London, Joseph Goody was listed as being a Horse Hair Manufacturer, she was a Horse Hair Sewer, and George Platt was a Chair Stuffer.

I am interested in finding out anything about the family, and how they may have become involved with a London man. I can find no details of Joseph Goody, apart from what I have said above, so I have no knowledge of who Mary Ann was, or whether the whole family moved to London.

One of the witnesses at the wedding is listed as a female called P. Goody. The residence at the time of the wedding for both George Platt and Alithea Goody was given as No.9 Williams Street, which I assume to be in or near Shoreditch. The marriage was according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church after Banns.

So far, I have drawn something of a blank, except for the 1861 Census which seems to have the elderly Joseph and Mary An (sic) lodging on Egremont Street, and a possible sighting of Mary in 1871 in the Sudbury Workhouse.

So, does anyone out there know anything? Usual route for answers, please.

Steve Clarke

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to the IGI

Joseph GOODY
Mary BYFORD

married in Glemsford
13-2-1816

8:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MY family Platt also lived in Shoreditch in the late 1800's. I have Martha Platt as married to George Platt with sons Joseph, and George and daughters Louisa and Elizabeth. However, I think this is not the Platt family I am looking for.

7:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across this topic whilst Googling my Goody Family Tree. Joseph Goodey was my 4x Great Grandfather. He was married to Mary Ann Byford and I have so far found 10 children for them including Alithea and Ann (my 3 x Great Gransmother). They also had a sister Porlawinna (sic) who could be the P. Goodey on your marriage certificate

11:50 pm  
Blogger Hawkins said...

Hello! Joseph Goody was my great great great great grandfather through his son Charles. That family moved to London by 1841 including sister Eurydice.

Please get in touch anyone!

Alan.odonoghue@gmail.com

11:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home