Monday, October 23, 2006

Goldings of Glemsford; Morlings of Leiston

I'm always happy to help with research if I can. I only have available the sort of resources that anyone can find online, but I do enjoy the search!

Sandra sent me this query:

I am looking for any information on the Morling family from Glemsford. Ephriam Morling, born 1820, married an Elizabeth, he was a tallow chandler. Any information at all would be most helpful.

In an initial hunt, I was able to find out this (with the usual health warnings about not jumping to conclusions):

In 1841, Ephrem and Elizabeth Morling were living with the family of Philip Golding, on Brook St, Glemsford.
Ephrem is recorded as a Chandler.

Ephrem (sic) and Elizabeth seem to have married in the second quarter of 1841 - it must have been just about the same time as the census was taken - I'm almost certain Elizabeth was born a Golding.

In 1851, Ephraim and Elizabeth Morling were in Leiston, with their children Alfred (9), Edgar (6), Emma (4) and Eliza (10 months). Ephraim is described as a Tallow Chandler. Ephraim and Eliza were both born in Leiston; Elizabeth and the other children were born in Glemsford, so the family possibly moved back to Leiston round about 1850.

In 1861, Ephriam (sic) and Elizabeth were living at Prospect Place, Leiston, with their family, now including Celina and Charles (8 and 5) both born in Leiston. Ephriam was still a Tallow Chandler.

At the moment I can't find Ephraim and Elizabeth in 1871, but I suspect they were still around - I have found death registrations for Ephriam in 1872 and Elizabeth in 1880. But in 1871 they seem to have evaporated!

Possibly this is because someone has misread the names on the online census material - they are shown as Marling in 1851, for instance.

However, in 1871, their son Edgar was living on Sizewell Road, Leiston with his wife Alice, and their daughters Anne and Alice. Significantly, Edgar was a Tallow Chandler.

That's as far as I've got so far, although I have begun to trace the other children of Ephraim and Elizabeth, who seem to have moved around a bit!

It also looks as though there were a number of Morling families in Leiston. Two at least make it into the mid- to late-century business directories.

As usual, if anyone else has anything to add, you can add it as a comment here, or email me and I will pass it on to Sandra.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morling - William Pemberton Morling married Dorothy Nicolas. They moved to Manotick (Ottawa area), Ontario, CANADA and gave birth to Joy (1922?) and Arthur (Nick) (1925).

This is all I know although I would enjoy knowing more as I am the grandson of William Pemberton Morling and the son of Arthur (Nick).

Also, I am the great grandson of Susan Seeley (married name). A true Lady from England, Lady Susan came to Canada to reside with a guardian when her Lord father passed on. Susan had 5 daughters who all lived in the Toronto, Ontario, CANADA area. I would enjoy knowing more about this as well. Thank you. Scott Morling

10:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marriage




Name: William Pemberton Pemberton Morling
Birth Place: Ross Herefordshire England
Age: 40
Estimated birth year: abt 1882
Father Name: Arthur Bloomfield Morling
Mother Name: Ellen Pemberton Morling
Spouse Name: Dorothy Edith Alexandra Nicolas
Spouse's Age: 27
Spouse Estimated Birth Year: abt 1895
Spouse Birth Place: Allahabad, India
Spouse Father Name: Francis James Nicolas
Spouse Mother Name: Bertha Clarke Nicolas
Marriage Date: 7 Jan 1922
Marriage Place: Carleton
Marriage County: Carleton

6:06 pm  
Anonymous Anita said...

Greetings to Scott Morling - we are related. I would be happy to provide more information if you are interested! (The common link is my great-great-great grandmother Rebecca Bloomfield, whose first husband was James Morling, her second being my great-great-great grandfather John Scarlett.)

8:17 pm  
Anonymous Anita said...

Greetings to Scott Morling - we are related, the common link being my great-great-great grandmother Rebecca Bloomfield, whose first husband was James Morling, her second being my great-great-great grandfather John Scarlett. I can provide more information if you are interested!

8:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you very much, Sue !!

Anita ... I'm would love to know more ! Nick is now 88 years old and still doing well. Would enjoy knowing more about how we are related.
I would also love to know more about Lady Susan ...from my mother's side.

6:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home