Monday, October 30, 2006

Deeks in Glemsford

The surname Deeks is familiar to all who have looked into the history of Glemsford (and the name even featured in a recent edition of "Who Do You Think You Are?").

Richard Deeks for many years ploughed a lone furrow in recording the real history of the village and its real people, as opposed to other more fanciful romanticised nonsense.

Richard himself did a large amount of research into his family background.

I was more than pleased therefore to receive this note from Sue Bignell, who may be contacted via my email address:

I've recently traced my great grandfather Alfred George Deeks ( born abt 1849) back to Glemsford where he was born, the son of Jeptha Deeks ( the spelling changes depending on which source you're using) and Martha (nee Cocksedge).

I know that Jeptha was born around 1813 and died in approximately 1891. He was probably the son of William and Mary Deeks.

It's all very exciting but there's a lot of 'probablys' and 'abouts'. I would be interested to know if anyone has any information to flesh these people out and make it a more exact science. Given the number of Deeks's in the local area it would also be interesting to know of the history of the name generally as this seems to be the heart of the name in the U.K..

I look forward to any replies.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve Clarke said...

Dawn Good added a note to this section on 13 July 2006, and Sue Bignell added her notes about the same families on 30 October.

Dawn has now added these notes about her branch of the family.

Jepthah was the son of James Deeks (1780) and Mary Goody (1779), who married 22 Feb 1808, Glemsford .

Their children were an Emily and Eliza (baptised 1809), Mary Ann (1810) and Jepthah )27 Nov 1814 Glemsford).

In the 1841 census Jepthah is living with Mary aged 60 at Egremont St (H107/1011/34/21) .

The William (who I believe you thought was her husband) is living with Eliza and a William aged 20 (ref H 107/1011/14/29).

Anyway: I am descended from Eliza Deeks 1809( sister to Jepthah) who married a Henry Farrow Hartley.

10:24 am  
Blogger Steve Clarke said...

Please ignore this idiot from something calling itself http://www.researchpaperspot.com/.

It is Spam and I missed this one in the filtering system. I will try to prevent its happening again. Meanwhile, if any of you would like to send an avalanche of complaints about their pathetic behaviour in trying to corrupt an honest website, you have my blessing.

They stink.

9:22 am  
Blogger Steve Clarke said...

I have been able to remove the unwelcome comment from Research Paper, but my encouragement for people to bombard the idiots with complaints remains unaltered.

9:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home