Sunday, September 17, 2006

Idle Surfing

Apologies if what follows is the internet equivalent of grannies sucking eggs (not that that means much in these days of NHS Dentistry ... er... hang on ...), but I've been indulging in a bit of random surfing lately, partly in pursuit of my own family (Devon and Norfolk) but partly to assist with some Glemsford queries.

And ...

One of the sites I've never really indulged in before is the National Archives site (
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/).

I've always previously found it a bit too posh and intimidating, but in the last couple of days, its "Search" mechanism has proved invaluable.

Having just put "Glemsford" in as the search word, I was amazed at what came up, including a whole crop of material - Wills and such-like - available for download online (at a price, of course).

Lots of fascinating snippets, but one struck me in particular.

In 1919, the Foreign Office produced a report of visits by (what I take to be French or Swiss) observers to a set of Prisoner of War camps around the country, including one in Glemsford.

In my ignorance, I didn't know there was such a thing.
Does anyone out there in cyber-land know anything about it?
Where was it?
When was it set up?
When did it close?
Who administered it?
Did any inmates stay behind?

I wait to be further amazed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home